WordPress 5.9 Beta 4 is now available for testing!
This software version is still under development. Please do not run this software on a production site; install it on a test site, where you can try out the newest features and get a feel for how they will work on your site.
You can test the WordPress 5.9 Beta 4 in three ways:
Option 1: Install and activate the WordPress Beta Testerplugin (select the “Bleeding edge” channel and “Beta/RC Only” stream).
Option 2: Direct download the beta version here (zip).
Option 3: When using WP-CLI to upgrade from Beta 1, 2, or 3 to Beta 4 on a case-insensitive filesystem, please use the following command sequence:
wp core update –version=5.9-beta4
wp core update –version=5.9-beta4 –force
The current target for the final release of 5.9 is January 25, 2022, which is only five weeks away. Your help testing this beta is vital: the more testing that happens, the more stable the release, and the better the experience for users and developers—and the entire WordPress community.
Since Beta 3, 20 bugs have been fixed. Here are a few of the changes you will find in Beta 4:
- Bundled Theme: Fixed duplicate CSS rules in Twenty Twenty-One theme (#53605).
- Customizer: It’s possible to switch to a block theme from within Customizer (#54549).
- Themes: Provide guidance to users seeking to preview block themes on WordPress versions below 5.9 (#54575).
- REST API: The get_theme_item method should respect fields param (#54595).
- Editor: Block Patterns: “Featured” category & patterns missing from inserter (#54623).
- Login and registration: Add a filter to allow to disable the Login screen language dropdown – (#54675).
How You Can Help
Do some testing!
Testing for bugs is vital for polishing the release in the beta stage and a great way to contribute.
Please post to the Alpha/Beta area in the support forums if you find a bug. If you’re comfortable writing a reproducible bug report, file one on WordPress Trac, where you can also find a list of known bugs.
Got questions? Here are some answers
So far, contributors have fixed 326 tickets and 108 new features and enhancements in WordPress 5.9. More bug fixes are on the way with your help through testing.